IWA sports roundup: Several runners advance to states
Published 6:50 pm Friday, February 18, 2022
By James J. Lidington
Isle of Wight Academy
The Isle of Wight Academy indoor track teams competed in their final meet of the year Tuesday, Feb. 8, with several runners moving on to state competition.
The varsity girls placed sixth, with 29 points; the junior varsity boys placed sixth, with 6 points; and the varsity boys placed 12th with 5 points.
IWA junior Hannah Edwards qualified for the state meet in the 1,000-meter event, along with the 300-meter and 500-meter events.
Senior Lorraine Upton had qualified in the 500-meter, 1,000-meter and 3,200-meter events and junior Hannah McClain in the 500 and 1,000.
The Virginia Independent Schools Athletic Association Indoor Track and Field Championships will be Saturday, Feb. 19, at St. Christopher’s School in Richmond.
Girls basketball: The varsity Lady Chargers ran their record to 10-3 overall and 9-1 in the Virginia Colonial Conference with a win Monday, Feb. 7, against Kenston Forest School, by a 47-35 score, and a win Thursday, Feb. 10, against Southampton Academy, by a 44-35 score.
Boys basketball: Trent Holland and Jacob Chapman each had 11 points as the Chargers fell to Southampton Academy 63-47 Friday night, Feb. 11, in Courtland.
The loss dropped IWA to 8-8 overall and 6-6 in the VCC.
Holland’s 26 points led the way for Isle of Wight Academy on Feb. 8 when the Chargers won 54-46 against Blessed Sacrament Huguenot School in a matchup of VCC schools.
Before a Senior Night crowd, Holland was 11-for-13 from the line, mostly in the final period, to keep IWA in a contest that was tied at 34 on a Huguenot basket as the fourth quarter began.
David Mann led the Knights with 21 points.
A look ahead:
- Tuesday, Feb. 15: Middle school girls, middle school boys, varsity girls and varsity boys basketball at Fuqua School, 4, 5, 6, 7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Feb. 16: Middle school boys, JV girls, varsity boys at Tidewater Academy, 4:30, 5:30 and 7 p.m.
- Thursday, Feb. 17: Girls basketball Senior Night — JV and varsity girls vs. Brunswick Academy, 5 and 7 p.m.
- Friday, Feb. 18: Middle school, JV and varsity boys basketball at Brunswick Academy, 4:30, 5:30 and 7 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 19: Indoor Track State Championship at St. Christopher’s School.