Get out and vote

Published 5:35 pm Friday, October 29, 2021

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...

Voting is a vitally important part of our democracy, so we encourage you, if you haven’t already taken advantage of the early voting offered this year, to make a plan to vote on Election Day.

Across Virginia, voters will be choosing the three highest statewide offices on Tuesday.

Running for governor to lead the state of Virginia through the next four years are Democrat Terry McAuliffe, Republican Glenn Youngkin and Liberation Party candidate Princess Blanding.

Running for lieutenant governor are Democrat Hala Ayala and Republican Winsome Sears.

Running for attorney general are the incumbent Democrat, Mark Herring, and Republican Jason Miyares.

Across the state, voters will also choose House of Delegates candidates — in Windsor, that’s for the 64th District, where incumbent Republican Emily Brewer and Democrat Michael Drewry are running. And depending on where you are in our readership area, there could be other elections on your ballot as well. Voters in the Hardy and Carrsville districts will also find Board of Supervisors and School Board member candidates on their ballot.

The polls will be open from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m. on Tuesday. You can visit to find out where your polling place is, or you can call the Isle of Wight Voter Registrar’s Office at 757-365-6230.

If you have received a ballot by mail and not yet returned it, you can also drop it off at the registrar’s office, 17106 Monument Circle, or at any voting precinct on Election Day only up until 7 p.m.

Identification is needed to vote, so make sure you have one of the following with you. If you have none of these, you will be required to either sign an ID confirmation statement or vote a provisional ballot:

  • Voter confirmation documents you received after you registered to vote
  • Virginia DMV-issued Driver’s License or Identification Card
  • Valid United States Passport
  • Any ID card issued by the U.S., Virginia, or a local Virginia government
  • Any student ID card issued by a U.S. university or community
  • Valid student ID issued by a public school or private school in Virginia
  • Employer-issued photo ID card
  • Nursing home resident ID
  • Valid tribal enrollment or other tribal ID
  • Any current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document with your name and address