IW supervisors, school board members re-elected

Published 5:20 pm Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Getting your Trinity Audio player ready...


No changes to Isle of Wight County’s Board of Supervisors resulted from the election on Tuesday.

According to unofficial results published on the Virginia Department of Elections website, incumbent Supervisor R.L. “Dick” Grice defeated his challenger, Dr. Timmie Edwards Sr., for the Smithfield District seat with 1,501 votes (56.77 percent) to Edwards’ 1,127 (42.62 percent) and 16 write-in votes (0.61 percent). In the Newport District, William McCarty Sr. defeated challenger Richard Gillerlain with 1,898 votes (69.68 percent) to Gillerlain’s 817 (29.99 percent) and nine write-in votes (0.33 percent). Windsor District Supervisor Joel Acree, who ran unopposed for re-election, also kept his seat with 1,717 votes (98.17 percent) with 32 write-in votes accounting for the remaining 1.83 percent.

In the county’s school board election, Vicky Hulick, the incumbent Newport District board member and current chairwoman, defeated challenger Lawrence Rotruck with 1,727 votes (62.21 percent) to Rotrck’s 1,035 (37.28 percent) and 14 write-in votes (0.5 percent). The race between Denise Tynes and Matthew Thomas for the Smithfield District school board seat was much closer, with Tynes ultimately winning with 1,309 votes (50.56 percent) to Thomas’s 1,256 (48.51 percent) and 24 write-in votes (0.93 percent). Julia Perkins, who had run unopposed for the Windsor District school board seat, was re-elected with 1,685 votes (98.25 percent), with 30 write-in votes accounting for the remaining 1.75 percent.

Also re-elected in Isle of Wight County were:

  • Commonwealth Attorney Georgette Phillips, who received 9,887 votes (98.38 percent), with 163 write-in votes accounting for the remaining 1.62 percent;
  • Sheriff James Clarke Jr., who received 10,458 votes (97.47 percent), with 272 write-in votes accounting for the remaining 2.53 percent;
  • Commissioner of Revenue Gerald Gwaltney, who received 10.324 votes (98.8 percent), with 125 write-in votes accounting for the remaining 1.2 percent; and
  • Treasurer Judith Crocker Wells, who received 10.256 votes (98.9 percent), with 114 write-in votes accounting for the remaining 1.1 percent.

William A. Gwaltney Jr. and J. Larry Darden were also both elected to the Soil and Water Conservation Director Peanut District. Gwaltney received 7,559 votes (54.47 percent) and Darden received 6,207 votes (44.73 percent) with 111 write-in votes accounting for the remaining 0.8 percent.