Six teens to shine in concert
Sundays at Four will present its 11th annual Terrific Teen Talent Concert on Sunday, Aug. 5, at 4 p.m. at Christ Episcopal Church in Smithfield’s Historic District.
This program will showcase six exceptionally talented and already-recognized teenage musicians. This summer, Sundays at Four will present two violinists, a soprano, a tenor trombonist, an oboe/English horn player and a pianist.
- Ava Shedd, 15, violinist, is a member of the Bay Youth Symphony and has already soloed with the York River Symphony and the Hampton Roads Philharmonic. Ava has been a member of the Bay Youth Orchestra since she was seven.
- At age 13, Hampton resident Kearston Gonzales is the youngest musician this year. She is home-schooled and recently soloed as a violinist with the Hampton Roads Philharmonic.
- Soprano Tara Davy from Williamsburg studies with Christopher Mooney, and will attend Virginia Commonwealth University this fall to study vocal performance with an interest in opera.
- Trombonist Nicolas Gonzalez graduated in 2018 from Menchville High School in Newport News and will attend the Peabody Institute of Music. He was a member of and soloed with the Bay Youth Symphony this past spring.
- Oboist Sarah Pratt will graduate from the Governor’s School and will attend The College of William and Mary this fall.
- Katelyn Kelly is a National Honor Society member and a pianist at Trinity United Methodist Church. She graduated in June 2018 from the Governor’s School for the Arts and Smithfield High School. She will enter the freshman class at The College of William and Mary with an intended major of psychology, gender studies and music. Katelyn will be a Sharpe Community Scholar, a program that emphasizes community activism and research. Her goal is to become a college professor in the social sciences. Kelly, 18, will playing sonata movements by Haydn, Schumann and Turina, and two preludes by George Gershwin.
There is no ticket charge, but a freewill offering will be taken to help support these students and their collaborating pianist. As always, a reception, sponsored by the Smithfield Ice Cream Parlor, will follow the concert so you can meet the young artists.
For more information, call 675-5777 or visit www.sundaysatfourva.org.