Hokie Club to host Bud Foster
The Western Tidewater Hokie Club is proud to have Defensive Coordinator Bud Foster
as special guest speaker at its 20th annual VT Orange and Maroon Coaches dinner on Monday, April 23, in the Smithfield Center. Joining him will be Christian Webster, the new assistant basketball coach.
Some details about Foster’s career:
• He played strong safety and linebacker at Murray State during his college career from 1977-80.
- Bud then served as a graduate assistant and coach at Murray State from 1981-1986 which is where he met and worked with Coach Frank Beamer.
- When Frank Beamer was hired as the football coach for VT in 1987, he asked Bud Foster to come with him and thus began one of the longest and most successful coaching relationships at one university in football history.
- Bud became the Defensive Coordinator at VT in 1995.
- In 1999, his defense led D-IA in scoring defense and ranked third in the nation in both total and rushing defense, and that helped propel VT into the 1999 National Championship game at the Sugar Bowl.
- In 2000, he received the Defensive Coordinator of the Year Award given by the American Football Coaches Association.
- In 2006, Bud received the Frank Broyles Award for the top Assistant Football Coach in college football.
- Bud has coached at VT for over 30 years and continues to have many top ranked defensive players who are chosen to play in the NFL each year.
Tickets are $35 with a social hour at 6 p.m. and dinner at 7. If you would like to attend, contact Bentley Richardson at 242-6606, or mail a check to Hazel Edwards, P.O. Box 57, Battery Park, VA 23304 (757-357-3260).